Sunday, March 14, 2010

Computer Fixin's Part Deux, Laptop Fixin's

My sister bought a Laptop recently, it is a Gateway NV7802U. Not a bad machine, it has a 2.2GHz processor, 4 GB Ram, and a 500GB. Tiger Direct review. Last week, I was told there was a problem and I said I would take a look. Below, it is in its natural state.Unfortunately, when it is powered up, it is obvious what the problem is. She stepped on it and broke the screen. I found a replacement screen for the Laptop model on ebay for $149.99 but I thought if I might open it up I could find the model of the screen. The idea was, I might find the screen directly for less money somewhere.
After some fairly difficult figuring out, I was able to pull the screen out. It was a little funny as there is a webcam in the cover just above the screen. There was also two screws in the bottom of the laptop that had to come out.

After taking it out, I turned the screen over to find the model. Voila! Here it is, a Samsung LTN173kT01-A01. You may notice that the screen (and the laptop, for that matter) was very recently made. "0935" is a date-code meaning 2009, week 35. This puts it late August of 2009.
Unfortunately, my plan hit a wall when I could only find this type of screen for more than $149.99. It turns out that the replacement for the Gateway that I found on Ebay is not this model, but instead an LG LP173WD1-TLA1 and the LG is cheaper. It looks like the LG would fit, but I am currently doing research to conform. I can imagine that Gateway manufactured this laptop (and the rest during this run) with whatever parts they could get at the moment and this screen happened to be a Samsung. At other times, they might use the LG.

Stay tuned to see if I can fix it.

-Minion

1 comment:

  1. Lol how do you step on and break a laptop screen?! =P

    I too have a blog http://www.computerfixins.blogspot.com

    if you need any more tech work just look me up!

    ReplyDelete